Can you believe it’s 2019? I can’t! The tides of time seem to shift and be stuck all at once, and we find ourselves with nearly a decade slipped into the rearview mirror as we launch headlong into a future. What can we count on? What can we trust?
I always find grounding in music, and found myself looking for songs that seemed to answer with a sense of belonging, purpose, understanding and caring for the first mix I’ve compiled in 2019. We’re constantly carving out an existence that’s finding the rose growing up through the concrete.
With that, I used the circumstances that informed one of our Standards of the 1960’s to look at urban life and love that informs that breaking through the rigidity to grow new and healthier roots, to dream, to expand in a world that asks us to contract and conform.
I hope that you can kiss your own flesh and thank yourself for the surviving that you’ve done through what was a tumultuous year that’s capping off one helluva decade of being alive. I hope these tunes inspire you to be thankful for yourself, and what you have and not to fear asking calling in what you need to move further into the person you wish to be.
Happy New Year, 2019 y’all.
- Chuck Jackson – Look Over Your Shoulder
- Tammi Terrell – Baby Dontcha Worry
- Joe Bataan – Ordinary Guy
- The Avons – Got To Get Used To You
- The Light Drivers – Dreams Of A Shoeshine Boy
- The Sapphires – You’ll Never Stop Me From Loving You
- The Fantastic Four – I’m Gonna Live Up To What She Thinks
- Gene McDaniels – Walk With A Winner
- Lesley Gore – A Girl In Love
- Arthur Alexander – Show Me The Road
- Bill Medley – I Can’t Make It Alone
- Gay Jamison – Stay Another Day
- Brenda Holloway – You Can Cry On My Shoulder
- The Charades – You’re With Me All The Way
- Freddie Scott – A Brand New World
- Georgia Gibbs – Let Me Dream
- Pat Sands & The Pebbles – Loving Him
- Keith – Our Love Started All Over Again
- Malcolm Hayes – I Gotta Be With You
- The Spinners – Head Over Heels
- Sheila Anthony – Living In Love
- Margaret Mandolph – Something Beautiful
- Patti & The Emblems – It’s The Little Things You Do
- Mitch Ryder – Blessing In Disguise
- The Olympics – Baby I’m Yours
- Lenny Welch – Please Help Me (I’m Falling)
- The Philharmonics – Will You Marry Me, Girl?
- The Paper Dolls – You’re The Boy I Want To Marry
- Sonji Clay – Here I Am And Here I Stay
- The Dells – Open Up My Heart
- La Brenda Ben – Just Be Yourself
- Kim Weston – Just Call Me
- Lorraine Ellison – Don’t Let It Go To Your Head
- The Hesitations – Love Is Everywhere
- Merry Clayton – This Is My Dream