I definitely spend more time in terms of creating mixes that explore the vast contributions that women, particularly Black women, have made to popular music. Every once in a while tho, I feel a bit guilty for ignoring the legacy of the legions of handsome men that worked tirelessly in the studio and stage crafting musical arts. Indeed there were plenty of metrics of negotiating dignity and respectability politics for those male artists to deal with as well.
This time I decided to affix on my own romantic ideal. I do have a penchant for male singers that are smooth as silk boxers with their performances, in a crisply fitting suit and a handsome smile on the face. The legion of Baritones, Tenors and Falsettos that set my Mid Century Heart Ablaze always excelled at a mid-tempo jam, or a low and slow number.
So as we wind down Summer and think of new teachers to have (in)appropriate crushes on, here’s a good cruise through some sophisticated sounds offered by some of the finest voices you know and don’t know in 60’s soul. For 32 tunes I hope you find a little bit to love in these songs.
1) Mel Carter – When A Boy Falls In Love
2) Lenny Welch – Run To My Lovin’ Arms
3) Ray Pollard – All The Things You Are
4) The Monitors – Stepping Closer To Your Heart
5) Ed Townsend – I Might Like It
6) The C.O.D’s – Pretty Baby
7) The Miracles – Choosey Beggar
8) Lou Johnson – Last One To Be Loved
9) The Dells – Wait Til Tomorrow
10) The Spinners – While The City Sleeps
11) Renaldo Domino – I’m Hip To Your Game
12) The Broadways – Going, Going, Gone
13) Chuck Jackson – Where Did You Go?
14) The Five Stairsteps – Behind Curtains
15) Jimmy Ruffin – How Can I Say I’m Sorry?
16) The Four Tops – Whatcha Gonna Do With Me Baby?
17) The O’Jays – I’ll Never Let You Go
18) Billy Stewart – Time After Time
19) Marvin Gaye – Sweeter As The Days Go By
20) The Drifters – I Don’t Want To Go On Without You
21) The Skyliners – The Loser
22) Gene McDaniels – Another Tear Falls
23) Kenny Shepard – What Difference Does It Make
24) Gene Chandler – To Choose
25) Freddie Scott – Don’t Let It End This Way
26) The Platters – I Can’t Get Used To Sharing You
27) The Ambassadors – I Really Love You
28) Little Anthony & The Imperials – Lost In Love
29) Bobby Hebb – A Satisfied Mind
30) Jerry Butler – I Dig You Baby
31) The Temptations – Born To Love You
32) Stevie Wonder – Hold Me
One Comment Add yours