Happy Pride Month 2021, y’all!
(Content Warning: There are very frank and honest discussions about substance abuse, domestic violence and sexual abuse during this episode).
It’s been a spicy one already, so I felt the urge to get y’all the history, the legends and the stories along the riveting songs you deserve for the month of June and beyond. We have some frank, complicated discussions about how it was difficult to navigate intersections, especially for Black, Queer and Gender Non-conforming performers during the Post War Era.
We have honest discussions that it may have been easier for white queers as well. I try to be honest about all of the complexities of these rich stories, and bring them to you with humility. I’d appreciate all and any feedback for this episode in particular.
Sit back, tune in, and get your life on all of these fabulous, complex queers. I hope its eye opening! We done been here! By honoring those whose lives were left in the shadows, may we learn to live more vibrant and content lives this Pride season and beyond.
George Maharis as a special treat.
- James Booker – Big Nick
- Esquerita – Hittin’ On Nothin’
- Arthur Conley – Who’s Foolin Who
- Bettye LaVette – You’ll Never Change
- Marie Knight – That’s No Way To Treat A Girl
- Andy & The Bey Sisters – Revenge
- Clara Ward – Keep On Searchin’
- Bobby Marchan – Help Yourself
- Jackie Shane – You Are My Sunshine
- George Maharis – Never On A Sunday
- Johnny Mathis – Saturday Sunshine
- Dusty Springfield – I’ll Try Anything –
- Carmen McRae – Come Live With Me
- Dee Dee Warwick – We’ve Got Everything Going For Us
- Norma Tanega – Don’t Touch
- The Drifters – In The Land of Make Believe
- Little Richard – Directly From My Heart
- Tee Set (Peter Tetteroo) – Don’t Ever Change This Love
- Big Mama Thornton – Let’s Go Get Stoned
- Carl Hall – The Damn Busted
- Lesley Gore – Treat Me Like A Lady
- Clyde McPhatter – I’m Not Going To Work Today
- Ronnie Dyson – Fortune & Men’s Eyes
- Carolyn Franklin – On A Back Street
- Mitch Ryder – Cherry Poppin’
- LaBelle – Man In A Trench Coat